--- "C.Ouellette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I need to be able to write a a perl script to either
> include or use previously written C programs and
> API's.
>
> There are a few modules out there to do that.  I am
> looking into using either SWIG or Inline.  I'm not
> sure which one would be the best one to use.
>
> Advice on this topic would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tina

Of all possible suggestions, I personally would recommend Inline.pm,
which I have been using with great success, though I must confess that
I haven't explored the depths of it. I would say, however, that while
it uses the guts of the Perl/C interface pretty directly, and you
*will* need to read things like the perldoc perlguts page pretty
carefully, the learning curve for Inline is far more gentle. Also, it
comes with a "cookbook" file that provides wonderful examples that can
be modified and applied, practically from day 1. Just read them
carefully to make sure you don't open a memory leak (or hole in the
dam, for that matter. =o)

Brian, while I'm on that topic -- is there a book planned for Inline
any time soon?

Paul

=====
print "Just another Perl Hacker\n"; # edited for readability =o)
Real friends are those whom, when you inconvenience them, are bothered less by it than
you are. -- me. =o)