Cobalt RaQ runs apache as root so that their front-end can run with root
perms. You could use cgiwrap for the same effect, i suppose. there is also
webmin, which runs with root priveleges. but webmin has its own httpd server
coded in perl (thereby reducing the chances of buffer overflows and such)
as webmin comes with a BSD style licence, you could cannibalize it for your
needs

there was a thread on bugtraq about the merits of running apache as root.
as apache has a pretty good safety record, you should be able to run apache
as root pretty safely. however if you are a little more paranoid, try cgiwrap.

BEWARE: the idea of running a CGI script to administrate a server is pretty
idiotic, in my opinion. i am trying to code a web based front end for
virtual/ip hosting web servers like cobalt's, so i understand the necessity in
certain cases. however, it is frightening and goes against all accepted
security norms.

kk