On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 05:34:22PM +0100, mark crowe (JIC) wrote:
> >             $compare = { split (/:/, $stats)};
> >             @records = \$compare;
>
> I think you'd be better off to use:
>       @records = split (/:/, $stats)

While this is correct..

> At the moment you are splitting to a scalar (which I think just puts the
> first (or is it the last?) value from that split into the scalar) and then
> assigning a reference to that scalar as an array.

this isn't.  He's creating an anonymous hash with { split(/:/, $stats) },
then assigning it to $compare.  He then assigns a reference to $compare to
$records[0], which makes it a reference to a hash reference.

> I'm sure that's not good for you (and I'm a bit surprised that -w didn't
> pick it up, or haven't you tried it from the command line?)

The code will only cause a warning if the split returns an odd number of
elements.

Michael
--
Administrator                      www.shoebox.net