Lightning flashed, thunder crashed and "Sparkle Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
whispered:
| Is there any other way to input information through STDIN other than using
| $variable = <STDIN> ? I have a script that requires multiple values of
| STDIN, each one different, but the script reads each of the consecutive
| STDIN values as equal to the first. Help!

I'm not sure your question makes sense.  <> is the input read operator.
You can use other things like getc(), but that just reads character by
character.  I don't understand what you mean by "reads each ... as equal to
the first."  What does this script do for you:

$first = <STDIN>;
$second = <STDIN>;
$third = <STDIN>;

print "First: $first";
print "Second: $second":
print "Third: $third";

If I feed it "first", "second", and "third", it prints:

First: first
Second: second
Third: third

-spp
--
Stephen P Potter                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"You can't just magically invoke Larry and expect that to prove your point.