From:   Curtis Poe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Friday, 17 August 2001 9:27 a.m.
To:     Jensen, John T; '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject:        Re: Net::SMTP

--- "Jensen, John T" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have installed Active PERL 5.6 on two machines here, one NT4, one W2K.
> want to use the Net:SMTP module, which is nicely described in the help
> files, but the module itself is not there in either installation.  Can
> anyone help me here?
>
> jj
>
> John Thayer Jensen, System Administrator
> Commerce Computing, University of Auckland

John,

One way to handle this is to download the Net::SMTP module from the CPAN
(you may have to
cut-n-paste this URL):

http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/mod_perl/cpan-search?join=and;arrange=file;down
load=auto;stem=no;case=clike;site=ftp.funet.fi;age=;filetype=%20module%20nam
e;modinfo=5270

Once on your box, decompress all of the files in a temp folder using WinZip
or something similar
that can handle .tar.gz files.

Then, download nmake.exe from
http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc15/Patch/1.52/W95/EN-US/Nmake15.exe
.  This is a
self-extracting executable that will extract the necessary files to run
nmake.  For simplicity's
sake, I would extract them into the temp folder that you extracted
Net::SMTP.

Open a DOS prompt and CD to the temp directory.  Once there, enter the
following commands:

    perl makefile.pl

That will create a file that nmake will use to build Net::SMTP.

    nmake

That starts the whole show.

    nmake test

That runs all tests that have been included with Net::SMTP.  Read through
the output very
carefully as that will alert you to any problems.  If all is well, you can
then do:

    nmake install

That will install Net::SMTP and you're ready to roll.  You can follow this
procedure to install
most CPAN packages that you don't find on PPM.

Side note:  After extracting nmake, I usually rename nmake.exe to 'make.exe'
(without the quotes)
and copy that and the other extracted files to a directory in my path.  From
then on, you can
follow the traditional module installation method without regard to where
nmake is:

    perl Makefile.PL
    make
    make test
    make install

If you leave the name as 'nmake.exe', just change the commands above from
'make' to 'nmake'.  I
prefer to rename it to 'make.exe' as this is the command name on unix-like
systems.

Cheers,
Curtis Poe

=====