Richard Hobson wrote:
> So, I've done the "Learning Perl" book, and frustrating myself no end by
> trying to write a chess program using just the knowledge contained in
> "Learning Perl" and with no modules.

Interesting first choice, but okay... Was there something in particular
that you are getting hung up on?

> I thought about getting "Intermediate Perl", but I've heard that
> "Programming Perl" is the best next step.

I'd disagree and say that your suggestion of Intermediate Perl would be
the next best step.

> But, what's the advantage of "Programming Perl" when we have "perldoc"?
> What does the book give me that perldoc does not?

A book. Some descriptions are more in depth and having a book with a
table of contents and index can often be easier to reference when you
don't know *where* to look in perldoc, but much of the information will
be the same. (Any number of sites and Google can help with where to look.)

--
Brian J. Miller
End Point Corp.