Chas. Owens wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 22:04, Steve Bertrand <st...@ibctech.ca> wrote:
> snip
>> I like the BSD license, and I am a BSD person, but I'm asking for
>> feedback from the creme-de-la-creme with regards to making code public,
>> so that I can put something in my code to ensure that someone else
>> doesn't decide that they want to "claim" it.
> snip
>
> Given your desire to keep the code free (i.e. not allow people to
> create closed source forks), your best option is the GPLv2[1] or
> GPLv3[2] licenses.  Perl itself and many of its modules are dual
> licensed under GPLv1[3] or later license and the Artistic License[4].
>
> The GPL basically says that you must provide the source code in the
> preferred form to people you give or sell the binaries to (if they ask
> for it).
>
> The Artistic License is similar, but a bit more free (the GPL gets a
> bit hinky when you want to combine GPL and commercial code).

[snip]

Thanks Chas, for the response.

I'm a network engineer, naturally, I hate legal stuff. Given what you've
said, I'll rephrase:

I wish all of my code be free, ie: I don't care if a commercial entity
uses it for their benefit or not, I don't care if derivatives are used
in commercial products or not, all I really care about is that my
current code is protected so that it can not be "claimed" as anyone
elses, currently... if that makes sense.

Am I allowed to put in any license I choose into files containing my own
code, so long as I honour all licences within any modules which I may
have included?

If I do add a license into my files, does that take effect immediately?

Steve