On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 00:51, Steve Bertrand <st...@ibctech.ca> wrote:
snip
> I wish all of my code be free, ie: I don't care if a commercial entity
> uses it for their benefit or not, I don't care if derivatives are used
> in commercial products or not, all I really care about is that my
> current code is protected so that it can not be "claimed" as anyone
> elses, currently... if that makes sense.
>
> Am I allowed to put in any license I choose into files containing my own
> code, so long as I honour all licences within any modules which I may
> have included?
>
> If I do add a license into my files, does that take effect immediately?
snip

I can't speak for Canada, but in the US your first desire is handled
by copyright law.  The second you put pen to paper or fingers to
keyboard your work is protected; however, you need to be able to prove
that the work is yours.  Due to the way copyright law works, no one
has the right to copy or run your code without a license.  This is why
the GPL works.

Your code is your own, and you can put any license on it that you
want.  So long as you are only including code via use, require, or the
like, the licenses of the other modules will have no effect on you.
Just make sure you have the right to distribute those modules (it is a
requirement for being hosted on CPAN, so if you got the module there
you should be fine).

--
Chas. Owens
wonkden.net