To: <beginners@perl.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:40 PM
Subject: A side note [was Re: Attentipn Please!! Need A Perl script to yada yada]

On Mon Aug 17 2009 @  4:09, Uri Guttman wrote:

I> Unfortunately I'm not an expert. I just read a few books and this list etc.

a couple of things. it is good that you are offering to help but as you
claim not to be an expert, it can hurt more than help. there are plenty
of experts on this list who can help and fixing up weak code offered
from beginners makes our work even harder.

This has come up before, as I recall, but either way, I have to disagree.
There are a LOT of us here who are far less than expert, but more than
novice users. I don't agree that we shouldn't offer our (presumably less
than expert) code. If anything, it can be a good way for us to learn as
well.

To clarify, I think anyone (expert or otherwise) should only offer code
that they feel good about. If you have no idea how to tackle a problem,
then it would be unhelpful to spew out some random code. On the other hand, your response seems to go too far in the other direction (advice and ideas,
sure, but no code except from experts).

One other thing worth saying: Ian seems to me to display the habit that a
lot of first-time (or rare) posters do of over-apologizing for an answer. I
do it myself here and on other forums, and I see it in my students all the
time. It's a pretty natural way to try to deflect potential criticism.
(Well, I'm not really sure, this is probably wrong, but...) I mention this
because we shouldn't let it prejudice us against the answer. Again, I think
there's room for non-experts, even in code.

Just my two cents, T