On Wednesday 19 August 2009 16:03:01 Peter Scott wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:39:29 -0400, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> > While reviewing my POD to ensure that I've been keeping it up-to-date
> > properly, and so that I can still easily understand the API at the
> > documentation level, I've noticed that two of my modules have
> > subroutines that only perform global tasks, and don't need to be
> > object-oriented at all.
> >
> > Is it recommended that I stick with the overall style of the project by
> > making all of the modules object-oriented, or is it better to create
> > procedural modules when objects are not required?
>
> No, you can mix it up.
>
> Consider whether a subclass might have a reason to override any of these
> global procedures.  If you can postulate a rationale for that, they should
> be class methods.
>
> The Exporter isn't hard to learn, and Exporter::Simple is even easier and
> prettier.  Non O-O procedures should be exported.

Just for completeness sake, one should note that there's also Sub::Exporter:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Sub-Exporter/

The POD page has comparisons with other exporters.

Here's a presentation about Sub-Exporter:

http://www.slideshare.net/rjbs/crafting-custom-interfaces-with-subexporter

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish