Steve Bertrand wrote:
My understanding has always been that when a perl script exits, any
memory that it can't free due to dangling pointers is doomed.

This leaked memory is never released back to the OS, and is permanently
'saved' for future invocations of other Perl programs.

Perhaps I've mis-understood something along the way.

In Linux, when a process is terminated, all of its memory is returned to the system for use in another process.

You proposed method is unreliable since the system can move the process memory at any time. If it does so, Perl will update all its references to match. Since you proposed to store the reference as a number, it wouldn't be update should this happen.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

as it is about coding.

I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
thingy.