I enjoyed writing my script in perl despite not being a computer
programmer, I get my need done without much stress, hence no need to
increase the mail volume on the list.

Perl6 definitely will take me higher to programming.

Perl is still the best for beginers at least you can write your novice
script and even get a sample script on the web to solve your problem.

On 9/23/09, Tim Bowden <tim.bow...@mapforge.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 09:59 -0500, Bryan R Harris wrote:

>> > Yes, that is why this list gets 5 emails on average per day and other
>> > comparable language lists gets 40.
>>
>> Remember, correlation does not imply causality.
>>
>> Maybe people get answers faster here.  Or the archives already answer most
>> questions.  Or perl is easy enough to use that people don't have to ask a
>> lot of questions.
>>
>> I've gotten some seriously impressive responses to my questions and am 10x
>> the programmer I'd be without this list (though that may not be saying
>> much).
>>

>> > Keep it up and the hollier-than-though's will have the list to
>>  themselves eventually.
>>
>> The respect is earned.  It wouldn't surprise me if Einstein didn't have
>>  much patience for criticism from those with short resumes...
>>
>> - B
>
> Volume isn't always quality.  There are some lists around where a
> significant portion of the volume is the blind leading the blind.  The
> rest is experts trying to clean up the mess.  Here the emphasis seems to
> be a little more on not making a mess in the first place (ie,
> discouraging less than helpful answers).  Both approaches have their
> place.  FWIW, as a perl newbie I'm happy with the way things are done
> here.
>
> Given FOSS is supposed to be all about having fun, why don't we have a
> 'Friday Fun' challenge aimed at beginners?  A once a week small coding
> challenge (posted by 'those that know'?) that should take no more than
> 5-10 mins covering 'Programming 101 in Perl' type material (ie, no deep
> magic!).  Brownie points for any decent/reasonable solution posted by a
> beginner within 24 hours.  Rotten eggs for those who do an 'elephant
> drowned in custard' type solution.  With a bit of luck it might help
> those paddling in the baby pool to venture out a bit further.
>
> Another $0.02,
> Tim Bowden
>

> --

Sent from my mobile device