>> SB> # ignoring the fact that you were advised to use named variables
>> # instead of $_ where possible, here is one way to do it:

I do not see how I can get away from using $_ because each iteration through
the loop will be a different variable and thus a different array element. This
is why I continue to choose to use $_ until someone can show me how it might be
easier or cleaner to perform 5 iterations, changing the value every time
without using it.

>>> elsif ($_ ge $hping_compare){
>>
>> elsif ( ( $_ + 100 ) >= $hping_compare ) {

I think this is more along the lines of what I am trying to do. I am checking
to see if the current array element is 100 or more than the base element of
$hping_compare. The $hping_compare is the value the want to base the greater
than or equal to off of.