  Uri> no need for the = () as all arrays are created empty.

  CS> I wasn't sure if strict would bark or not, so I figured better safe than
sorry.

  Uri> someone told you that le is wrong for numeric comparison. and WHAT do
  >> you think is in $_ there? you never explicitly set it. it may have some
  >> value from the loop index but that is meaningless. think about your data
  >> when you use it. was it set properly? what should it contain? print it
  >> to make sure.

  CS> I contains data and numerics id=####, that is why I'm using
  CS> them. I did print it before looking to compare as I normally make
  CS> habit of and it is printing the value as expected.

what value did you get? your last code did not parse it out
correctly. if you got id=123 then you can't compare than as a string and
get the correct results when comparing to 100 no matter what the
operators used.

  Uri> ge is for string compare. >= is for numeric.

  CS> See above comment

no, id=123 is a STRING. but 100 is a NUMBER. apples don't compare to
oranges. read perldoc perldata to learn how perl handles numbers and
strings and converts between them. perl does not divine a number INSIDE
a larger string and use that for a number.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  u...@stemsystems.com  --------  http://www.sysarch.com --
-----  Perl Code Review , Architecture, Development, Training, Support ------