On 2010.02.22 17:44, Uri Guttman wrote:

>   >> "off list", as I don't like to clog everyone's email with my thank
>   >> you note.
>   >>
>   1> It's generally considered very rude - but the world is full of rude
>   1> arseholes. Many of them can be found on the perl list.
>
> which perl list? there are many. do you include yourself as you are on
> this list? do you actually help people here (don't recall seeing you in
> many threads)? do you think you have the right to call others names
> given that you are not a regular helper here? think about this before
> you reply and start calling me names too.
>
> list netiquette is there for a reason. yes, it is something that needs
> to be taught and retaught to many newbies. this is one reason i wanted
> to create a set of guidelines (NOT an FAQ, it is different) for this
> list. it would include netiquette as well as how to best ask for help
> here.

I propose that a beginners-pol...@perl.org list be configured, so that
Uri can list his initial list policy guidelines (ie rules) be discussed,
and a new AUP be created.

The policy can be decided overall by those who have belonged to the
community the longest, and who answer questions here, and in the more
advanced arenas.

Personally, I've asked questions here that may not belong, because there
is no Perl definition for "beginner question". With that said, I don't
like it that Uri has to spend his time spitting out the rules on a
frequent basis (especially recently).

Also, I am disgusted with name calling, regardless of ANY situation...
that is completely unacceptable, especially on this list. fwiw, in the
context the name was called, I agree with Rob... I belong to several
technical lists, and the de-facto standard is to Reply-All.

Steve