Hi newbie01!

On Monday 15 Mar 2010 09:39:41 newbie01 perl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the moment, I have some sort of INI/config file that I edit manually via
> vi. These config files are "simple" delimited file that are used by some of
> the scripts running on the server.
>
> I want to be able to the same thing via cgi-bin, can anyone advise where to
> start. Basically, I want to be able to display the contents of the
> INI/config file in some kind of FORM or web page and then allow the user to
> be able to edit and save it at the same time.

That is doable.

> Any advise on where to start will be very much appreciated. Am not sure if
> I should be using PHP instead of CGI-BIN but I thought the latter would be
> simpler to do.

PHP is not recommended because one can easily write dangerous code in it:

http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/anti/php/

Regarding writing CGI scripts, read the following:

* http://www.htmldog.com/ - to learn HTML.

* http://jdporter.perlmonk.org/cgi_course/ - to learn CGI .

* You may also wish to look at http://perl-begin.org/ for more Perl-learning
resources.

Then you may wish to take a look at http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mojolicious/
(which is self-contained) or a different web-development framework to ease the
writing.

> Being able to prompt for a username/password prior to editing the file
> would be a plus ... :-)

That is doable.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish