On Tuesday 30 Mar 2010 20:02:54 Shawn H Corey wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:20:02 +0200
>
> chew23 <johnvoo...@hotmail.it> wrote:
> > > I hope you're going to like Perl 5 and will use it for years to
> > > come. [P6] Just a note - it's either "Perl" or "perl" but never
> > > "PERL":
> > >
> > > http://perl.org.il/misc.html#pl_vs_pl
> >
> > I apologize to the list, but I was not aware of this.
>
> Few non-Perl mongers are.  (It's just that some mongers get really
> antsy if you get it wrong.)

Well, you can blame the ghosts of the ancient Greek for thinking that
introducing two parallel sets of letters - the uppercase and the lowercase
ones was a good idea. Some alphabets such as the Hebrew Alphabet or the Arabic
Alphabet only have one set of letters, and they work fine. That put aside, I
still try to write in proper-case English and prefer to read properly-
capitalised English text, because I find it easier.

> FYI:  Perl is used for the language and anything related to it.  perl
> is the name of the program that runs Perl scripts.  If in doubt, use
> Perl.

My link explained that.

> Also, Perl mongers are advocates for Perl.  See http://www.pm.org/ to
> find mongers near you.

Another thing - the word "monger". Compare:

1. Fish monger.

2. Perl monger.

3. Hate monger.

In Hebrew 1 would be "Mokher", 2 would be "Shocher" and 3 would be
"Mecharcher". If we called ourselves "Mokhrey HaPerl" or "Mecharcherey HaPerl"
people will get the wrong idea.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish