walt wrote:
Thanks Rene,

I already have an SMTP server running and have been using it with ASP and
CDOSYS. Works like a charm but it's a bit cumbersome and restrictive.  So I
am looking into dynamically generating emails from a database to achieve a
more personalized presentation.  At the same time I am hoping to use the
server responses to identify and mark email addresses which are rejected by
the server(s) listed in the mx record. That way I'll cut down on the NDRs,
at least that's the theory, and I hope I can iron out some of the problems
this causes in maintaining the opt-in lists.

For my part, i just use Mail::Sendmail. Hasn't let me down so far. Of course, your mileage will vary, depending on your exact needs and mail volume.

Then I was hoping to connect to the smtp server, issue the commands one by
one and monitor the server response. My problem is I have never done that so
it's a bit of struggle understanding how to get perl to pick up the server's
response and react accordingly.

If you're planning to use this in a production environment, completly re-implementing a mailer might be the wrong choice.

For one thing, there are a ton of buggy mail systems out there. And if you're planning to send out anything more sophisticated than plain text mails without attachments, you'll have to worry about encondigs, Mime-types, delimiters, headers, the lot.

Not to mention handling temporary server errors, where you probably have to implement spooling, sender notifications, the lot.

Before re-inventing the wheel, at least take a look into http://search.cpan.org

For your specific problem, at least the socket part, you might wanna take a look into Net::SMTP. It's still pretty lowlevel, but does some wrapping about the low-level socket calls. (of course, reading the RFC's mentioned would still be a good idea).

I'll check out the documentation you have mentioned, look into using
IO::socket and maybe I can ask further questions later on.

Many thanks Walter.

Your welcome!

P.S.: Please always reply to the list as well.

LG
Rene