From: Rene Schickbauer [mailto:rene.schickba...@gmail.com]
Sent: 31 March 2010 18:46
To: walt; Perl Beginners
Subject: Re: Connecting to a socket

walt wrote:
> Thanks Rene,
>
> I already have an SMTP server running and have been using it with ASP and
> CDOSYS. Works like a charm but it's a bit cumbersome and restrictive.  So
> am looking into dynamically generating emails from a database to achieve a
> more personalized presentation.  At the same time I am hoping to use the
> server responses to identify and mark email addresses which are rejected
by
> the server(s) listed in the mx record. That way I'll cut down on the NDRs,
> at least that's the theory, and I hope I can iron out some of the problems
> this causes in maintaining the opt-in lists.

For my part, i just use Mail::Sendmail. Hasn't let me down so far. Of
course, your mileage will vary, depending on your exact needs and mail
volume.

> Then I was hoping to connect to the smtp server, issue the commands one by
> one and monitor the server response. My problem is I have never done that
so
> it's a bit of struggle understanding how to get perl to pick up the
server's
> response and react accordingly.

If you're planning to use this in a production environment, completly
re-implementing a mailer might be the wrong choice.

For one thing, there are a ton of buggy mail systems out there. And if
you're planning to send out anything more sophisticated than plain text
mails without attachments, you'll have to worry about encondigs,
Mime-types, delimiters, headers, the lot.

Not to mention handling temporary server errors, where you probably have
to implement spooling, sender notifications, the lot.

Before re-inventing the wheel, at least take a look into
http://search.cpan.org

For your specific problem, at least the socket part, you might wanna
take a look into Net::SMTP. It's still pretty lowlevel, but does some
wrapping about the low-level socket calls. (of course, reading the RFC's
mentioned would still be a good idea).

> I'll check out the documentation you have mentioned, look into using
> IO::socket and maybe I can ask further questions later on.
>
> Many thanks Walter.

Your welcome!

P.S.: Please always reply to the list as well.

LG
Rene