[...]

John K. wrote:
> If we have learned anything from Y2K it is that you should always use
> four digits for the year.

Your right... my .events files has only 9 decades to muddle along
until it quits working... hehe..  Lets see... I'm 65 now... I wonder
if I'll care...

Seriously, I guess you are saying it's really a bad habit... point
taken.

>> My script will read this file (from cron).  It has to get a year
>> mnth and mday out of there.
>
> $ perl -le'
> my ( $year, $mnth, $mday ) = "100421" =~ /(\d\d)(\d\d)(\d\d)/;
> print "Year = $year, Month = $mnth, Day = $mday"
> '
> Year = 10, Month = 04, Day = 21

I guess I got a little carried away, using split, once I'd learned
here about how it handles null strings.  Instead of sticking with a
simple s/// to get the same job done.

Thanks