  HP> Shawn H Corey <shawnhco...@gmail.com> writes:
  HP> [...]

  >>> Yikes, I'll be a week with perlre to get even close to following that.
  >>> In fact I don't really understand whats happening there at all.
  >>>
  >>> Also it doesn't appear to work with the data I posted unless the
  >>> $extra is present, and that is supposed to be up to the ~/.events
  >>> author.
  >>
  >> Oops, you're right.  I forgot the extra was optional.  Try:
  >>
  >> if ( my ( $year, $mnth, $mday, $extra ) = $_ =~ m{ \A \s* ev \s*
  >> (\d\d)(\d\d)(\d\d) \s* (\d+)? \s* \Z }msx ) {
  >>

  HP> Wow, gets it in one swoop.  This construct looks pretty foreign to me.
  HP> I associate seeing =~ operator with s/// type setup.

=~ is called the bind operator and it works with s///, m// and also
tr///. you can find all info about operators in .... perldoc perlop! a
critical thing to learn with perl is where to find things in the
docs. perldoc perl lists all the docs and groups them to make it easier
to find things. if you have the docs locally installed you can grep for
things which is a great little search tool. perldoc.perl.org has all the
docs in nice html with a search function too. as i tell all perl
students, read/skim the core perl docs. do it again. you don't need to
get everything but it helps to know what kinds of things are covered and
where. the docs are perl's primary reference and you should look to them
first to learn stuff. come here when/if you don't get something.

  HP> Can you steer me to a bit of documentation that explains what I'm
  HP> seeing here.  Particularly m{...}msx

m// is the same as // but m allows for alternate delimiters which are
useful when you have / in the regex itself. otherwise you get leaning
toothpick syndrome which is hard to read as you need \/ to get a single
/ in there. the suffixes msx are documented in perlre, and perlretut and
perlrequick are a tutorial and quick reference to regexes. i would read
these last too asap to learn more about them.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  u...@stemsystems.com  --------  http://www.sysarch.com --
-----  Perl Code Review , Architecture, Development, Training, Support ------