----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob McConnell" <r...@cbord.com>

Has ActiveState produced a 64 bit package yet?

Yes, x64 packages have been available for a couple of years (give or take).
That is, ActiveState currently provide an msi package for both x86 (32-bit build of perl) and x64 (64-bit build of perl) ... and they also provide zip packages for both, as well.

All four of those packages should install and run fine on 64-bit windows. I can vouch for that re the x86 and x64 zip packages on Vista 64, but I've not personally tried the msi packages (as I'm always worried they'll do something I don't want them to do ... possibly that's just silliness on my part).

I would think that if there was a problem with the msi installer being used by the OP's friend, then the installation would bail out with more meaningful error messages (ie probably a pop up outlining what needed to be done). But, as you've probably already gathered, I'm no expert when it comes to the installation of msi packages :-)

Cheers,
Rob