I made the changes below and I'd like to know if there is anything else I
could do to improve the quality of my code.

        use constant false => 0;
>>        use constant true  => 1;
>>

> Constants are usually written in all uppercase to distinguish them from
> keywords, functions, operators and subroutines.  How did you choose the
> arbitrary values 0 and 1 for false and true instead of using other values?
>  Why did you name them false and true instead of zero and one?

I changed them to uppercase. I call them TRUE and FALSE in order to get the
appearance of a Boolean construct.
In my opinion $var = TRUE; is easier to read than $var = 1; I could have
used any arbitrary number that evaluates to true or false.

But why do you need to define those keys at all when autovivification can
> usually take care it for you?

a) readability (it tells you right away what possible keys I will use)
b) I didn't know about autovivification

> You don't have a default {} block so you are saying that $coml[0] will only
> ever contain 'command' or 'reply'?  The only thing you do with $command{
> reply } is set it to 0 at the beginning and set it to 1 here so why do you
> even have this variable?

Its for an unfinished feature in which is it would either email the output
back to me or save it as a file.

Thanks for your reply and time.

John