I have a perl script that calls a compiled c program and retrieves the
output lines hundreds of times a minute, and want to make it as
efficient as possible.  This is on Windows XP and ActivePerl 5.8.

Using 'system' and redirecting stdout to a file, then opening and
reading the file, I observed that McAfee was running hard, apparently
scanning the file for viruses.  So I put the scripts into a folder
tree that McAfee will ignore and the scanning stopped.

Then I changed the Perl script to use backticks thinking that it would
be faster to just assign the output inside the script.  It works, but
now McAfee is running hard again and I don't see any speed
improvement.  Either Perl is forcing the lines to a path outside the
'safe' one, or somehow McAfee is intercepting them between the two
programs.

Any guidence or clarification would be appreciated.

Paul K