On 07/27/2010 01:11 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
On Tuesday 27 Jul 2010 03:58:06 M.Lewis wrote:
I'm migrating an old RedHat server to a new Debian server. In migrating
the data there's a problem in that on the RH server the UID starts at
500, on the Debian server the UID starts at 1000. Resulting in something
like this:

Old     User    New
UID     Name    UID

500     Moe     1000
501     Larry   1001
502     Curley  1002
503     Shemp   1003

I've tossed this around in my head and haven't really arrived at a good
method to correct the UID's on the new server. I presume there will be a
similar problem with GID's as well, although I've not yet confirmed that.

My suggestion is to simply copy the appropriate lines from the /etc/passwd to
the new /etc/passwd.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

I'm hopeful that someone will give me an idea that will give me a
kick-start so to speak.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Shlomi. But in order for that to work, I would have to retain the 'old' UID numbering system, rather than use the 'new' (Debian) numbering system. If I wanted to do that, your solution would work fine.

Maybe I've missed something.

Thanks,
Mike

--

 A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation.
  08:45:01 up 9 days,  8:12,  4 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.05, 0.00

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org