On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 22:48, Mark <herrpoe...@hailmail.net> wrote:
>  On 9/30/10 10:32 PM, Chas. Owens wrote:
>>
>> That is very odd, it should be working.  Just to make sure it is not
>> some weirdness with iTerm (I use iTerm, so that shouldn't be the
>> problem), try using Apple's Terminal.app instead.
>
> Same result in Terminal.app.
>
> Also, I have Debian-Lenny running in VirtualBox, and I get the same result
> in a root terminal there, too. -- That is, when I change directory to the
> exact same script file and type "perl test.pl".
>
> - Mark

The only thing I can do to reproduce what you are seeing is to place a
control-d (aka ASCII character 4) in the file.  Try saying this

echo 'print "hello\n"' | perl -

If that works, then try this:

perl -nle 'print for grep { $_ < 31 or $_ > 126 } map ord, split //' t.pl

It will tell use what control characters may be lurking in that file of yours.

--
Chas. Owens
wonkden.net