On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 12:07:30AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> after being tired of telling Perl newcomers about the same problems with
> their
> code times and times again, I've decided to create this page detailing "Perl
> Elements to avoid":
>
> http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/bad-elements/
>
> I've already mentioned it several times here in replies, but thought I'll
> create a top-level thread for discussion.
>
> Here's my to-do list for that page. More ideas are welcome:

Hello Shlomi,

Although it should probably go without saying, please be sure to mention
somewhere near the top that this is your opinion.  Whilst many people
will agree with much of what you have written, or will write, I suspect
that hardly anyone, and perhaps only you yourself, will agree with
everything.  Indeed, in some instances it is likely that some people
will consider that you are giving bad advice.

It might also be useful to note that you are providing guidelines for
beginners, and that people should feel free to go against this advice
when they understand why they are doing so.

Making such implicit caveats explicit could help to soften the tone and
avoid confusion.

I've CCed this to the list because it probably also applies to the
majority of the cases where somone sends a "black and white" reply to
the list which isn't solving a specific problem ("Don't do that, do
this", or "always ...").

Perl is used for many different tasks, and often different problems will
suggest correspondingly different solutions.  Or perhaps someone just
has a different style.  Pointing out and correcting mistakes is, of
course, always welcome on the list, but it does seem that more and more
frequently we are straying into the area of style, and here, greater
care is required.

Thanks,

--
Paul Johnson - p...@pjcj.net