Hi Kryten,

On Friday 15 October 2010 08:42:07 Kryten wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm hitting a strange problem running simple perlscript on my new
> laptop.
>
> To illustrate:-
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use strict;
> use warnings;
> use diagnostics;
>
> open my $configuration, 'H:\temp.txt' or die "my error: $!" ;

You may consider replacing "\" with "/" - it works just as well inside Perl on
Windows , and causes less troubles.

> my @info = <$configuration> ;
> chomp (@info);
> foreach my $i (@info) { print "$i\n " ; }
> ## End
>
> When I run in either Primalscript or Hippoedit the output pane emits
> the 1st character
> of the 1st line in the "H:\temp.txt" file, preceded by a colon.

Primalscript and Hippoedit appear to be non-open-source IDEs. Please try
running the script from the command line (see
http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/ ) and report the results.

> I realise this is the case because if I change the 1st line character
> to whatever, the
> re-run the code that's the character I get. It doesn't matter where
> the file is located.
> I have admin rights on the machine etc
>
> W7 x64 with Activeperl 5.12.2

Did you also try http://strawberryperl.com/ ? It's an open-source distribution