Hi folks,

The current version of Ubuntu Linux I'm using comes with Perl 5.10.1, but I
want to install and develop under 5.12.2.  From what I've read in Perlmonks and
Stackoverflow, it's not difficult to install a separate version - all it needs
is its own directory.  But I'm a little unclear about how to leave things so
that system utilities (such as system update) continue to find the 5.10
version, while at the same time I can run 'cpan' and have it use 5.12 as its
context.

Perlbrew was mentioned, but it doesn't seem to be unanimously considered a good
solution to my problem.

I figure I should leave the /usr/bin/perl symlink exactly the way it is,
pointing to the "system" perl, 5.10.1.

I figure I should create a /usr/bin/perl512 symlink to point to my 5.12.2
version.

I figure I will have to begin my Perl programs with #!/usr/bin/perl512.

Are there considerations for my .bashrc file?  ($PATH, $PERL5LIB)

I have no idea whether 'cpan' is going to behave the way I want it to (leaving
the 5.10 system alone, only modifying 5.12)

Can anyone suggest (or point to) a "best practice" way to handle this situation
- i.e. managing both a "system" version and a development version?

Thanks,
Chap