On Nov 19, 2010, at 3:18 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> On Friday 19 November 2010 06:14:19 Chap Harrison wrote:
>> Perlbrew was mentioned, but it doesn't seem to be unanimously considered a
>> good solution to my problem.
>
> Where do you see people speak against perlbrew?

See brian d foy's reply at:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3794922/how-do-i-use-perlbrew-to-manage-perl-installations-aimed-at-web-applications

>> I figure I should create a /usr/bin/perl512 symlink to point to my 5.12.2
>> version.
>
> Oh no! Bad idea. Don't put two Perls under /usr. Install this perl under
> /opt/perl-5.12.2 or ~/opt/perl-5.12.2 and make it promoted in the path.

This suggestion came from:
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=686573

> Try using perlbrew.

My own reluctance comes from my (limited) understanding that perlbrew is
intended for switching between multiple *private* versions of Perl.  I want to
(a) leave the 5.10 version that came with the OS alone, and (b) have one
"latest stable" version against which to do development.

It's no problem for me to modify my shebang lines as you recommend, but I'm
concerned about what to do to make 'cpan' install into the right place.

Regards,
Chap