On 04/19/2011 08:00 AM, Peter Scott wrote:
I remember when Casey West and Kevin Meltzer started this list.  Casey
was very specific on-line and in person about it being a place where
newcomers could ask questions without being flamed.  The FAQ bears this
out:
this one at least had a good run and I'll be sorry if I end up leaving it too.

It's a shame when people leave a community because they feel it has taken on a negative tone.

The first question that comes to mind is "what is the process for dealing with negative behavior on this mailing list?".

Looking at:

    http://learn.perl.org/faq/beginners.html

I see:

    1.8 - Who owns this list? Who do I complain to?

Casey West owns the beginners list. You can contact him at ca...@geeknest.com.

    1.10 - Who will maintain peace and flow on the list?

Casey West, Kevin Meltzer and Ask Bjoern Hansen currently carry large, yet padded, clue-sticks to maintain peace and order on the list. If you are privately emailed by one of these folks for flaming, being off-topic, etc... please listen to what they say. If you see a message sent to the list by one of these people saying that a thread is closed, do not continue to post to the list on that thread! If you do, you will not only meet face to face with a XQJ-37 nuclear powered pansexual roto-plooker, but you may also be taken off of the list. These people simply want to make sure the list stays topical, and above-all, useful to Perl beginners.

And, I also see:

    1.11 - When was this FAQ last updated?

    November 20, 2001

So, my next question is "has the complaint resolution process broken down?".

David