On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 10:40:12AM +0530, Ramprasad Prasad wrote:

> Using the system linux sort ... Does not help.
> On my dual quad core machine , (8 gb ram) sort -n file takes 10
> minutes and in the end produces no output.

Did you set any other options?

At a minimum you should set -T to tell sort where to put its temporary
files.  Otherwise they will go into /tmp which you probably don't want.
I expect this was your problem here.

You probably want to set --compress-program=gzip too.  This will
compress the temporary files, reducing IO (which would likely be the
limiting factor otherwise) and making use of some of those cores (which
would likely be sitting idle otherwise).  This will probably both speed
up the sort and reduce the disk space required.

This really is your solution if you just want to sort that file.

--
Paul Johnson - p...@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net