On Oct 3, 2011 8:48 AM, "Bob McConnell" <r...@cbord.com> wrote:

> From: shawn wilson
>
> > On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 02:32, Shlomi Fish <shlo...@shlomifish.org>
wrote:

before inserting them in DB, but never gave details for what should be
filtered.

> >> Well, the SQL injections that you mention are one vector of attack
against
> >> web-sites, but are not the only one. See:
> >>
> >> * http://shlomif-tech.livejournal.com/35301.html - my post about
Code/Markup
> >>  injection and its prevention.
> >>
> >> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting
> >>
> >> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_request_forgery
> >>

> > since we're on web security, my favorite general purpose reading is:
> > http://code.google.com/p/browsersec/wiki/Main
> >
> > also this (which iirc, some browsers don't or google say are dangerous
> > - there doesn't seem to be any script running on this page - cursory
> > look):
> > http://ha.ckers.org/xss.html
> >

> For general guidelines and tools, take a look at the OWASP Projects at <
http://www.owasp.org/>.

Good point. I always assume that everyone has heard of the top 10 and the
like so forget to put it out there.

But, I'll just say, if you think about what you're doing and know a little
about security you'll be in the upper 50%. If you run scans, you'll be in
the upper 25%. After that it gets hard. However the point is that its not
hard to rise above the lowest hanging fruit (which isn't saying much for the
state of ecommerse in general but is good for keeping inexperienced
programmers with a little knowledge out of the ruffage).