From: shawn wilson

> On Oct 3, 2011 8:48 AM, "Bob McConnell" <r...@cbord.com> wrote:
>>
>> From: shawn wilson

used
on a site to be secure?
filtered
before inserting them in DB, but never gave details for what should be
filtered.

Code/Markup

>> > since we're on web security, my favorite general purpose reading
is:
>> > http://code.google.com/p/browsersec/wiki/Main
>> >
>> > also this (which iirc, some browsers don't or google say are
dangerous
>> > - there doesn't seem to be any script running on this page -
cursory
>> > look):
>> > http://ha.ckers.org/xss.html
>> >

>> For general guidelines and tools, take a look at the OWASP Projects
at
> <http://www.owasp.org/>.
>>

> Good point. I always assume that everyone has heard of the top 10 and
the
> like so forget to put it out there.
>
> But, I'll just say, if you think about what you're doing and know a
little
> about security you'll be in the upper 50%. If you run scans, you'll be
in
> the upper 25%. After that it gets hard. However the point is that its
not
> hard to rise above the lowest hanging fruit (which isn't saying much
for the
> state of ecommerse in general but is good for keeping inexperienced
> programmers with a little knowledge out of the ruffage).

This is exactly why I never assume anyone has read the OWASP top ten.
But even if they have, a reminder to review them once in a while isn't
going to hurt. We go a few steps further. Some of our sites process
credit cards and some of our applications need to be certified for PCI
PA-DSS. So all development and QA teams had to attend training courses
in security and get a refresher class at least once a year.

Bob McConnell