Sorry Tim. I thought after I wrote that perhaps I should have been very
specific even though that would've also made it very long.

When I said, "I tried all the regular ways to change file extensions in XP."
what you suggested is exactly what I tried -- many times. I even redid it
again, just now, Exactly as you wrote it, in case perhaps pushing one button
out of order could cause a failure. The same thing happens. The "Open with"
window disappears and the program that opens the pl file extension remains the
same.

The only thing left that I can figure to try is: The delete button in that
"Open with" window is grayed out (why I have no idea) so I though uninstall
perl, delete .pl in the registry and reinstall perl.

If that does nothing getting a new OS is looking better and better :)

I wonder if Perl not being in the "Program Files" folder has anything to do
with it not being on the list in the "Open with" window so that it is necessary
to "browse." That list is somewhere in the registry, if I could find it and add
perl to it???

Although some of them were so far over my head as to be non-readable Everyone
Thanks you very much for all the responses.

ms