On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM, John Sampson <jrs....@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I installed Strawberry Prolog on Windows 7 and tried to install AI::Prolog
> from the CPAN.
> As far as I can see from the slew of messages this failed due to lack of
> software packages
> on which it depends (or depended).
> I have three questions:
> Has anyone recently successfully installed AI::Prolog?

Just did. Like you mentioned, one of the dependencies, Text::Quote,
failed to install. I checked the build log and saw this:

#   Failed test 'Quote Regexp'
#   at t/quote.t line 80.
#          got: 'qr/(?^:ABCDEF)/'
#     expected: 'qr/ABCDEF/'
# Looks like you failed 1 test of 52.
t/quote.t ..
Dubious, test returned 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
Failed 1/52 subtests

That's broken because of a change in how regexen are serialized in
5.14+, but because not everyone might now that, I checked the module's
bug tracker, and there's a similar explanation there. So the failure
looks more like overzealous testing, rather than anything being
particularly broken in the module.
Going from that, it seemed pretty harmless to force the installation,
after which AI::Prolog installed without a hitch.

$ cpanm AI::Prolog
$ cpanm -f Text::Quote
$ cpanm AI::Prolog

> What is the percentage rate of successful installations from CPAN to
> unsuccessful ones?

Dunno. My experience has been pretty good -- generally used modules
are maintained an just work, and unless the module has C bindings,
they are generally pretty resistant to changes in Perl.

> Is CPAN a going concern?

Sure. IIRC half of it is actively maintained (i.e. commits within the
year), and all of it is routinely tested against several versions of
Perl & different environments.