* Shawn H Corey <shawnhco...@gmail.com> [2013-10-01 17:34:06 -0400]:

> On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 14:14:16 -0700
> Charles DeRykus <dery...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not bucking for "net nanny" but, while full solutions and
> > follow-on discussions can be enlightening, I wonder if they're really
> > advantageous to the OP.  Not to embarrass anyone but there was no
> > mention of DIY attempts, no soliciting of hints  or approaches, or
> > even mention of  being stuck or frustrated thinking about how to
> > start.
> >
> > A  "guru service while you wait " may  be excellent but disciples
> > will fail to ever get  their G.E.D. (guru equivalency diploma).
>
> On the other hand, any program under 200 lines is trivial and is a
> warm-up exercise. ;)
>
> How are newbies going to learn good coding practices without reading
> good code?

Indeed. People learn in different ways. Some people, myself included, learn
through seeing examples which then can be used to read up further with a better
insight and understanding of what they're looking at/reading. Others, can
simply pick out information from books and learn without much guidance.
Sometimes, the text written by people may not be as intuitive to others reading
it as the author may believe. Of course, that doesn't mean those learning
shouldn't make an effort to understand first and rely solely on the examples
and guidance of others.