On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:58 AM, James Griffin <j...@kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:

> * Shawn H Corey <shawnhco...@gmail.com> [2013-10-01 17:34:06 -0400]:
>
> > On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 14:14:16 -0700
> > Charles DeRykus <dery...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not bucking for "net nanny" but, while full solutions and
> > > follow-on discussions can be enlightening, I wonder if they're really
> > > advantageous to the OP.  Not to embarrass anyone but there was no
> > > mention of DIY attempts, no soliciting of hints  or approaches, or
> > > even mention of  being stuck or frustrated thinking about how to
> > > start.
> > >
> > > A  "guru service while you wait " may  be excellent but disciples
> > > will fail to ever get  their G.E.D. (guru equivalency diploma).
> >
> > On the other hand, any program under 200 lines is trivial and is a
> > warm-up exercise. ;)
> >
> > How are newbies going to learn good coding practices without reading
> > good code?
>
> Indeed. People learn in different ways. Some people, myself included,
> learn through seeing examples which then can be used to read up further
> with a better insight and understanding of what they're looking at/reading.
> Others, can simply pick out information from books and learn without much
> guidance. Sometimes, the text written by people may not be as intuitive to
> others reading it as the author may believe. Of course, that doesn't mean
> those learning shouldn't make an effort to understand first and rely solely
> on the examples and guidance of others

Agreed - and that's why I think the examples can be enlightening for every
level.  However,  this example while demanding a fair level of skill wasn't
brain surgery and even newbies and students should be able to make an
initial attempt at a solution and report what they saw or where they got
stuck.   Or even preface their post with  "I tried 'split' but even
thinking about the next step gives me a headache. What would you
suggest?".   Now the  expectation is tilting  to  "Solve it for me... you
got nothing better to do and I'm busy... too busy to waste my time
detailing what if anything I did to help myself".

--
Charles DeRykus