On 10/26/13 16:25, Ed Davis wrote:
> I would think the question being asked isn't 'OT' which is namely: what's runtime v compile time ... (and Python's .pyc's are sort of in the middle). Id think a beginners list first task would be to help you make the choice?

There are a number of dimensions for comparing computer programming languages, including various time parameters -- compile time, start-up time, work done per unit of time, total run time, etc.. An important time parameter for myself and my employers/clients is "how long does it take for David to write a correct program?".

For "easy" tasks, I can write a Perl program fairly quickly -- minutes to hours. Perl one-liners are especially gratifying. When one module or script starts taking many hours, I need to either decompose it or think up a different strategy. For "hard" programs, I've come to the realization that I need to upgrade my knowledge and skills.

Thus, my posts about the lambda calculus and the MOP (Perl's HOP and Moose). I'd be curious to know if Python supports them.

David