I tend to use Strawberry perl these days and would certainly recommend it.

Regarding the file paths you mentioned, the double back slash is correct
but also difficult to read. I change my windows scripts to use File::Spec
paths whenever I have to revisit them. This makes paths portable and easy
on the eye. I also find Test::Vars a useful tool for cleaning up code. It
will find unused variables.

Good luck,
Dermot.