I have coded a module, which I plan on releasing soon. It has routines to
add/remove/update
users (/etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group, /etc/gshadow), and handles locking issues
correctly on a Linux machine. The code will be updated soon to work transparently on
Solaris, FreeBSD too. If you would like to see the code mail me privately.

/kk

p.s. The module is intended to allow modification of all major *nix configuration
files and
is very BETA. Currently user handling, Sendmail, Aliases, and Bind8 are being worked
upon.