Thursday, December 20, 2001, 11:04:44 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Okay, let me just start by saying that I'm only looking for advice and
> triage. (In other words, I'm not asking you to do the work for me. Please
> don't send nasty emails along the lines of "Use Google you moron." Done
> that; there's a lot out there.)

> So my big project for Jan is the following:
> Write a client/server where-
> -client runs on Windows w/activestate
> -daemon runs on Solaris
> -client taps server, server responds with query for password
> -client takes password from user (preferably without echoing) and encrypts
> or hashes it
> -sends to server, which authenticates agains the Unix password file
> -server oks
> -client sends file across socket
> -server checks file, severs connection; does something with file

> This is probably trivial for some of you, but it's a big project for me.
> I'd love advice on the password authentication component in particular
> (e.g. module suggestions). But if anyone can recommend a site with sample
> code I can play with, or any number of books on the subject that would be
> great. I just want models and examples and references.

> I've ordered a book by the oft-acclaimed Lincoln Stein, "Network
> Programming with Perl." Do you think this will go a long way toward helping
> me? (As I hope.)

sounds like a particularly good book for what you're trying
to do (not that i've read it, but the TOC[1] looks good).

about the password sending part, there was an article on
perl.com[2] that you might find interesting.

1) http://www.aw.com/catalog/academic/product/1,4096,0201615711,00.html
2) http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/09/26/crypto1.html

--
Best Regards,
Daniel                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]