From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 6:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Advice Wanted: authenticating users with perl

Okay, let me just start by saying that I'm only looking for advice and
triage. (In other words, I'm not asking you to do the work for me. Please
don't send nasty emails along the lines of "Use Google you moron." Done
that; there's a lot out there.)

So my big project for Jan is the following:
Write a client/server where-
-client runs on Windows w/activestate
-daemon runs on Solaris
-client taps server, server responds with query for password
-client takes password from user (preferably without echoing) and encrypts
or hashes it
-sends to server, which authenticates agains the Unix password file
-server oks
-client sends file across socket
-server checks file, severs connection; does something with file

This is probably trivial for some of you, but it's a big project for me.
I'd love advice on the password authentication component in particular
(e.g. module suggestions). But if anyone can recommend a site with sample
code I can play with, or any number of books on the subject that would be
great. I just want models and examples and references.

I've ordered a book by the oft-acclaimed Lincoln Stein, "Network
Programming with Perl." Do you think this will go a long way toward helping
me? (As I hope.)

Thanks,
John