"jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I admire your philosophy!  I purchased Learning Perl on
> win32 Systems by Schwartz, Olson & Christiansen read and
> worked the exercises and use it daily but now at a point
> where I want more.

Luckey for you, there is more.  Someone anticipated your
need.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pperl3/

Then click "Add to Shopping Cart"

> I want to get a hard copy of the perl reference, but not
> sure what and how to print it out.

[...]

IMHO -- don't reinvent "The Book".  There were two great
people who made Perl be so useful:

  Perl language           Larry Wall
  Perl documentation      Tim O'Reilly

Without the great documentation, I don't think Perl would
have gone as far as it has.  I really think that the
O'Reilly books are great.  Good content (thanks to great
authors), good organization (thanks to great editors),
fun/educational/useful (thanks to Tim & staff).  They hold
together very well -- the bindings are more expensive than
they need to because they work better than most bindings.
That means that the book can be held open without breaking
its back, despite many years of abuse.  Buy one.  Mark the
everlovin' daylights out of it.  Nick the pages, write on
the binding, hilight the index, scribble all over the back
pages, make marks from one section to another.  (I often go
the "wrong" section, only to find my hand written note to
got the "correct" section, including page number).

Maybe I'm missing your point, but I have found that the book
is very useful, especially after I customize it.  And it
lays on my desk better than any sheaf of papers ever would.
ANd it has an index.  And it was designed to go together...

But if you want to have hard copy of the executable output
from perldoc, perhaps you will endure the paper copies
flying all around your desk.  Work styles vary.  I like the
bulk of my learning to come from the book.  I use perldoc
very infrequently to find the particular syntax of something
that I vaguely remember.  I use it less now that I have the
Perl CD, since it's searchable.  But I still use the paper
books, and would not substitute the CD for the paper.  They
complement each other very well.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!