On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Shawn wrote:

>   In a regex, the '\b' can stand for:
>     1) a boundry between a word and non-word char
>     2) bakcspace

\b can be used inside of [] (as part of a character class) to mean a
backspace, but outside, \b always means 'word boundary assertion'.  If you
don't want to use a character class, you can put your \b (backspace) into
a double-quoted string:

my $pattern = "Helll\bo";

if(/$pattern/) ...

Which is different from /Helll\bo/, where the word boundary assertion
(which is zero-length) comes into play.  You can also use \010 (octal 8)
to match the ASCII backspace character.

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/