Shift removes the first element of the array it is passed...so, take the
example:

my @arr = (1, 2, 3, 4);
my $val = shift @arr;
my $val2 = shift @arr;

print "\$val = $val\n";
print "\$val2 = $val2\n";
print "\@arr = @arr\n"

This will print out
$val = 1
$val2 = 2
@arr = 3 4

As you can see, shift removed the first element of the array and returned it
as its value.

Now, if shift is called without an argument, it uses the default argument
@_.  Convieniently, arguments to a function are passed using @_.
So, if you call a function:
f( $var1, $var2 );
then inside f, $_[0] is the value of $var1 and $_[1] is the value of $var2.

In your specific case,

Somefunction($var1, \@arry);

then $_[0] will be the value of $var1, and $_[1] will be a reference to
@arry.

If, inside Somefunction, you write
my $var = shift;
then $var will be the value of $var1