On 27/2/02 13:11, "Jon Molin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Iain Wallace wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if any one can help me. Is there any command in perl that
>> will let me match a line only if the next line
>> fufills a certain condition, without doing a double loop over the file?
>> My data is like this
>>
>> Variable1 number number number
>> Variable1 number number number   --- want this line
>> Variable2 number number number   --- and this
>> Variable2 number number number

I'm pretty new to perl myself, but:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use warnings;

my $variable1 = "line1 \n line2";
print "$1\n" if $variable1 =~ /(.+)["\n"]\sline.+/;

This is a pretty quick and dirty script that somehow does this.
It doesn't really work that nice, but I guess that would work?
It prints the first line of $variable1, if the second line of $variable one
has line in it.

--
T.