From:                   Craig Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Does anyone know - will perl2exe (or a different package to create an .exe)
> allow a perl script to be launched from windows explorer EVEN THOUGH the
> script is written for unix (and is sitting on a unix netowrk drive)?

Well ...

1) The place where it sits is irrelevant as long as the users can
access it.

2) The fact that the script was written for unix could matter. If it
calls some external tools that are not available on windows you'll
either have to modify the script or install windows versions of those
tools.

Also if the script makes asumptions on paths (like /usr/bin,
/dev/nul, etc) you'll have to change it.

But usualy it's doable and often not hard.

> I have many perl scripts my users would find useful but all written to run
> on unix (Sun).  I've a large number of users who have neither the rights,
> permissions, desire, or know-how to execute a perl script from a unix
> prompt.  So I'm tasked with coddling these windoze people. I'd like to allow
> them to simply "double click" the .exe which launches the perl script.
>
> I'd like to avoid any additional installations of perl. Idea's?

You'll have to have at least one instalation of Perl on a windows
system (WinNT/Win2k/WinXP preferably). Cause perl2exe will not
run under Unix and the versions of PerlApp that run under Unix will
not be able to create Windows EXEcutables.

So you need on Windows machine with Perl to test the scripts and
compile them.

Good luck :-)

Jenda

=========== [EMAIL PROTECTED] == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==========
It's just that in the mess on my table ... and in my brain.
I can't find it.
                                        --- me