<RANT_>
It's ridiculous that this is being re-posted, but this is Japhy's response
to YOUR question from a few days ago...
  s/(.{1,78})\s/$1\n/g;
<RANT_>

open(X, "<w") || die "can't open test file ($!)\n";
while(<X>) {
  s/(.{1,78})\s/$1\n/g;
  print;
}

<RANT_>
The really bad part about this is is that *I* posted this response (from the
original message) to another user just a couple of days after the original
message, so this answer is out there twice already.
<RANT_>

Hope this helps...
Jason

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

The information contained in this ELECTRONIC MAIL transmission
is confidential.  It may also be privileged work product or proprietary
information. This information is intended for the exclusive use of the
addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution [other
than to the addressee(s)], copying or taking of any action because
of this information is strictly prohibited.