Hi all,

I've got a project where I need to develop an single-board-computer based
network device using packet modems connected to Amateur Radio equipment and
I'm trying to develop a simulator in Perl under Linux and I've got a few
questions.

Basically I'm going to have X number of nodes running inside Xterm sessions,
all sitting in the same working directory and simulating transmitting data by
appending the data to a file.  Each program will simulate receiving the data,
by doing the equivelent of a tail -f on this file.

Keyboard input will be used to simulate data being received from the box's
serial port.

1) How can I simulate the 'tail -f' under perl without hanging my program.

If I pseudo code it it may give a better idea of what I mean.

// in main code

if ($command=&getcommand()) {
  &do_something($command);
}

sub getcommand() {
  if character available
     add character to buffer
  if character = end.of.packet
    return buffer
  else
    return false
}

2) can this same method be used to get the characters from the keyboard.

3) can I reduce the priority of these programs (equivelent of the unix 'nice'
command) from within the perl script or do I need to do it from the shell
script calling the program. (If I nice -> xterm -> perl script, will the nice
still affect the perl script or will I have to do xterm -> nice -> perl
script)?

4) Is there an easy way (or a hard way) within Perl to control the xterm
output, something similar to GotoXY that I used to have in TurboPascal in the
good old (?) DOS days.

--
Gary Stainburn